The other day I stumbled upon a news story. The headline read "Model: Doctors remove hands, feet". Now I am not a squeamish person. I watch movies where people get filleted open and my days can be filled with cleaning up blood, vomit, and feces. In addition the lives of models and actors seem terribly ridiculous to me and most of the time I laugh at their tragedies - maybe this bitterness comes from being the fat girl growing up...whatever reason it isn't nice but it is a character flaw.
So after reading the headline I read the news story and found myself feeling very upset for this woman. She was a young beautiful 20 year old who had her hands and feet amputated because there was not enough oxygen in her blood. It was an extreme effort to save her life - but it left me horrified. Personally, being an artist and an athlete it seems like to much of a trade off. I am sure as a model she would have felt the same way, but who knows. She wasn't able to make that decision because she was unconscious. I kept thinking how terrible it would be to one day be a model and wake up with no hands or feet. That is truly a nightmare - not just for her but for anyone. Throughout the day I kept rehashing it - I told my husband never to make that sort of decision for me. I secretly I hoped that the model would never have to wake up in that nightmare life.
The next day I read that the model died - I am sorry for her family (how horrible to lose a 20 year old daughter), and upset because that is a messed up ending to her story. However, part of me is relieved for her - she never had to wake up and see what was done to try to preserve her life. Anyhow - I read up on her a bit more and she seemed like a really good person...
I guess my point is quality over quality and perhaps I shouldn't be so callous to all the famous people.